Shoalhaven Superheroes Festival Events
The Shoalhaven Superheroes Festival (SSF) is now an established range of different pop culture community events and activities held at different times of the year, in locations both inside and outside the Shoalhaven region of NSW.
SEL continues to develop and expand the SSF’s range of fundraising activities and events. New SSF activities and individual event logos are helping to grow both brand and general public awareness of the expanding range of SEL’s fundraising volunteer work.
On 11th September 2020, SEL established Superheroes Community Care (SCC) to be the business name which will front the Company’s future charitable objects, fundraising, and donations campaigns.
At this time, SEL hopes to be able to hold our first 2021 SSF event, the Premier’s Cup Golf Charity Tournament in June 2021. Plans are underway for an extended 3-day event, with 2 golf days at Castle Hill Country Club, Sydney, with players competing for a Premier’s Cup on each day. The Tournament will again involve the Australian Ladies’ Professional Golf (ALPG) players.
SEL has built on the success of its inaugural December 2014 BerryPOP Pop Culture Expo, which held various pop culture activities over 3 days in Berry, Shoalhaven Heads, and South Nowra.
In 2015, SEL launched the SSF fun Pop Culture fundraising events and activities, which will now be supporting SEL’s Superheroes Community Care (SCC) fundraising objectives.
ShoalPOP Pop Culture Charity Expo
Patron – Mayor, Shoalhaven City Council
Ambassadors – Andrew Zachariou, Supanova Pop Culture Industries
Venue – Berry Cool Estate, Coolangatta, NSW
Dates – 20th & 21st November, 2021
A celebration of everything pop culture fun – artists, illustrators, cosplayers, exhibitors, reenactment, retailers, sports, competitions, Capes Gathering record attempt, games, bands, performers, and entertainers. Fun for all the family.
An opportunity to dress up as your favourite superheroes character, and join in the pop culture fun!
Shoalhaven CommunityPOP – Volunteer “Service & Beyond” Awards
Venue – Gala Dinner for 300 guests at The Country Club, St Georges Basin
Date – Cancelled due to COVID
Attire – Superheroes Dress-up
A night of dress-up fun, entertainment, and volunteer celebration.
12 Volunteer Awards Categories to recognise and celebrate grass roots volunteerism in the Shoalhaven / South Coast region. The 3 finalists in each award category are invited to attend the Gala Dinner as guests and the winner and runner-up in each category is announced on the night.
The 28 Kia Picanto S Auto Hatch Raffle Ticket Car Key winners attend the Gala Dinner as guests, and the Car Winner is determined on the night.
There are also prizes for best dressed for individuals and table groups.
Nominations close 5pm Wednesday 15th September, 2021
Shoalhaven SchoolsPOP – Schools “Capes for Community” Awards
North NowraPOP – Premier’s Cup Golf Charity Tournament
Golf Tournament: Castle Hill Country Club, Sydney (21 & 22 June)
Presentation Reception: Parliament House, Sydney (24 June)
Dates – 21, 22, & 24 June, 2021
21 June (Golf Day One) – Pro Am “Superheroes” corporate teams involving Australian Ladies’ Professional Golf (ALPG) and Celebrities players, playing for the Premier’s Cup Charity Celebration trophy.
22 June (Golf Day Two) – Teams compete for the ALPG and Charity purses, and the Premier’s Cup Charity Challenge trophy.
Tournament Day One Winner – Terry Hills Golf Club
Tournament Day Two Winner – Supanova
Tournament Fundraising outcome:
$13,000 – WPGA
$10,000 – Nelune Foundation
$ 7,000 – Mates on a Mission
$22,000 – Superheroes Community Care River Retreat
$52,000 – TOTAL
Tournament Partners & Sponsors recognised in “Other Festival Event Sponsors” section of Sponsors page.
– Friday 4 February 2022 at Nowra Golf Club
– Club House Welcome Reception 10.30am for light lunch 11am – 12noon
– Shotgun start Golf Challenge 12.15pm
– Golf Challenge Conclusion 3.30pm
– Club House Presentation Reception 4pm
– Event concludes 5.30pm
(times subject to change).
– Tournament Organisers: Golf NSW and Superheroes Events Limited.
– Tournament Ambassadors: Nicole Bessant, Kelsey Bennett,
Tania Ravnjak and Olivia Wilson.
– Tournament Partners: Golf Challenge, Golf NSW, WPGA Tour Australasia, ANZ Mobile Lending, Bright Print Group, Adidas, Adidas Junior 6’s, Callaway, Coca Cola EuroPacific Partners, Golf Genius Software, Supanova, Tooheys, Volvik and WIN TV.
– Major Sponsors: Nowra Cranes, ANZ Mobile Lending Shoalhaven,
Hill On Air, It’s My Club, It’s Berry Necessary Fashion, Ivid,
Rebels Personal Training, PowerFM, 2ST, Shoalhaven Signs
and South Nowra Auto Group.
– Tournament Charity: Superheroes Community Care River Retreat at Shoalhaven Heads, New South Wales providing short stay accommodation for families with chronically ill kids and families requiring benevolent assistance.
– The Nowra Tournament is one of the qualifying events being held at different golf clubs in NSW, which are raising funds for their respective nominated charities.
– Teams of 3 players.
– Maximum number of teams 32.
– Team cost $450.
– Sponsor Signage Hole Team cost $650.
– Tournament Playing Format the exciting new Golf Challenge.
– The two top winning teams of the Nowra Golf Challenge Premier’s Cup Golf Charity Challenge Trophy will be invited to participate in the the Monday 14 March 2022 opening day of the NSW Open Championship at Concord Golf Club, Sydney and attend the Champions Gala Dinner.
Each team will be allocated a playing professional to make a team of 4 players. The Tournament Charities are the Nelune Foundation and the Superheroes Community Care River Retreat.
– Nowra Tournament players will also be competing for the Golf Challenge Premier’s Cup Golf Charity Celebration Trophy. The top two winning teams of the Golf Challenge Premier’s Cup Charity Challenge Trophy cannot also qualify/win the Golf Challenge Premier’s Cup Golf Charity Celebration Trophy.
– There will be some WPGA Tour Australasia players attending and teams will be able to bid to have a WPGA player join your team as a forth player which will enhance their chances of winning the Golf Challenge Premier’s Cup Golf Charity Celebration Trophy.
– Team players are invited to wear ‘Superheroes’ dress up theme. There will be prizes for the male and female best dressed individuals and teams. Main Prizes provided by Supanova Pop Culture Industries, Callaway, Shoalhaven Superheroes and Volvik.
– To qualify for the Nowra Tournament Trophies entry, team players must have an official Golf Australian Handicap. Maximum handicap for men 18 and for ladies 24. If a team player does not have an Official Golf Australian Handicap or has a higher handicap the team can still participate but cannot qualify/win either of the Tournament Trophies.
Naming Sponsor 2020 & 2021 Shoalhaven Superheroes Festival: Nowra Cranes
Superheroes Events Limited is a Not For Profit Volunteer Company.
Our Shoalhaven Superheroes Festival Events, Community Activities & Buy a Brick Donation Campaign are fundraising for The Superheroes Community Care River Retreat for families with chronically ill kids and/or families requiring benevolent assistance.
ParliamentPOP – Volunteer’s Recognition “Speaker’s Gardens” Reception
Patron – The Hon. Shelley Hancock MP, Member for the South Coast, Minister for Local Government, New South Wales
Venue – Speaker’s Garden, Parliament House, Sydney
Date – 20 October, 2021 (Private event, by invitation only)
Atendees – Further recognition of the Shoalhaven Superheroes Volunteer “Service & Beyond” Award Nominators, Finalists, Winners, and Shoalhaven Superheroes Festival Sponsors
BerryPOP Shire of Berry Potter – Kidditch World Cup Tournament
Patron – The Hon. Minister of Sports, New South Wales
Venue – Olympic Park, Homebush, or Shoalhaven Indoor Sports Complex, Bomaderry
Date – 2022 or 2023 (TBC)
Kittidtch is a kids’ non-contact version of Quidditch – the game made famous by J.K. Rowling’s Harry Potter books and movies. This event involves school student players between 7 and 13 years old.
The inaugural 2019 Kidditch World Champions are Bomaderry Public School, NSW
Bomo-lympics Galaxy Games
Patron – John Martin, Australian Basketball Tournaments Legend
Date – TBC
Superheroes Basketball students challenge to be the Bomo-lympics Champions of the Galaxy.
Ulladulla Pirates World
Patron – The Hon. Shelley Hancock MP, Member for the South Coast, Minister for Local Government
Date – TBC
Pirates from around the globe are invited for a night of Pirate entertainment, games, dress-up, frivolity, and fundraising.
Shoalhaven HeadsPOP – River Retreat Respite Home
Venue – Superheroes Community Care River Retreat, River Road, Shoalhaven Heads
Date – April/May 2021 (TBC)
Superheroes Community Care River Retreat provides short-stay accommodation for families with chronically ill kids and/or families requiring benevolent assistance.
Join us for the River Retreat Respite Home official fundraising launch open day celebration.
Supanova Pop Culture Industries
SEL has been an exhibitor at Sydney Supanova since 2015. Over time, we have progressively built a relationship with the family organisers of Supanova Pop Culture Industries. In 2019, our discusions progressed to partnering together to introduce and grow new pop culture events in Sydney and the Shoalhaven. Additionally, the relationship comes together to raise funds for the Superheroes Community Care River Retreat for families with chronically ill kids and/or families requiring benevolent assistance at Shoalhaven Heads.
Collaboration events in 2021 include the Shoalhaven Superheroes Premier’s Cup Golf Charity Tournament, Shoalhaven Superheroes Volunteer’s “Service & Beyond” Awards, Schools “Capes for Communities” Awards, and ShoalPOP Pop Culture Charity Expo.
TafePOP – Launch Campus for Superheroes
Since 2015, each year, SEL has launched the SSF with a co-hosted reception at Illawarra TAFE Nowra, with the Certificate III Beverage & Catering and Events & Tourism students. As with other SEL events, these have been different fun pop culture themed dress-ups for fundraising occasions.
These events have provided the students with the opportunity to co-host, plan, and theme the annual pop culture launches.
The Shoalhaven Superheroes Volunteer “Service & Beyond” Awards have also recognised certain TAFE teachers and students for their community work.
Sussex Inlet Santa SUP
MEETING POINT TO BE ADVISED THE DAY BEFORE THE EVENT
Sussex Inlet Stand Up Paddle will be hosting the 5th Annual Santa Paddle raising money for the new Shack Shoalhaven Superheroes Respite River Retreat at Shoalhaven Heads. The Respite River Retreat is for families with chronically ill children.
Participants can choose to either paddleboard, canoe, or kayak. The registration fees are:
- 3 tickets to go into the car key winner draw to win the Kia S Auto Hatch valued at $16,525. A raffle ticket car key winner is to be drawn on the day. The Raffle Ticket Car is won on 4 September 2020 at the Shoalhaven Superheroes Volunteer “Service & Beyond” awards at Bomaderry Bowling Club. 28 Car Key Winners will be drawn in the period until 04/09/2020
- Medal presentation for best dressed and special categories
- Rotary Club of Sussex Inlet will be providing the post-event food
- All paddlers must be able to swim 50 metres and participate at their own risk, and the organisers will not be responsible for any injuries.
- All paddlers to be experienced and responsible for their own equipment
- Stand Up Paddlers must wear a legrope
- Kayaks & canoes welcome
- Minimum paddlers age 12 years
- Children under the age of 12 riding on a parent’s board must wear a lifejacket and are the sole responsibility of the parent
TeraraPOP is our country music capital. Organisers of the Terara Country Music Campout are Owen, Thelma, and Tracey Ison. This is a volunteer family-run event which attracts country music artists from many states of Australia. The event has fundraised for the Superheroes Community Care Family Facility and River Retreat.
Back in 2018, following the introduction of Master & Miss Brix fundraising superheroes, SEL has introduced it’s Schools Superheroes Drawing Competitions. These competitions will take place online, and also at ShoalPOP Pop Culture Charity Expo in November, with plans for some of the winners of these competitions to be invited to attend Supanova in Sydney.
We have a team of independent judges, which include the creators of Master & Miss Brix, SSF Ambassadors Chris Sequeira and Chewie Chan.
PowerFM School Breakfast Shows
The Shoalhaven Superheroes have been an ongoing community partner of the PowerFM Schools Breakfast Shows since 2015. Our participation grew from initially attending in Superheroes dress-up, to joining with school students and school teachers in Superheroes Dress-up mornings.
We have visited numerous schools in the Illawarra, Shoalhaven, and Southern Highlands. Schools we have visited include Albion Park, Berry, Bomaderry, Culburra Beach, East Nowra, Falls Creek, Gerringong, Greenwell Point, Hiskisson, Illaroo, Kangaroo Valley, North Nowra, Nowra, Nowra Hill, Shoalhaven Heads, South Nowra, Sussex Inlet, Ulladulla, and Vincentia, among others.
During these fun-filled mornings, we have held a number of different activities for the students, including –